We all know that ladies and guys love to wear "flip-flops", especially in South Florida where it is warm all year round. The problem is that many of them can actually cause foot problems. Examples of this include when they are worn for long periods outside the home, such as when walking the mall or going up and down the store aisles. Here is what you need to know:
1. Make sure the shoe cannot be twisted in the middle (arch) area- Look for a sturdy material that will bend at the "ball' (front) of the foot and not in the middle.
2. For more support, look for ones with a rear strap- This will give your feet more control.
3. If your feet hurt, visit a podiatrist and put the flip-flops to the side- Switch to your most supportive sneaker or walking shoe ( with lace or velcro) both inside and outside the house.
4. Moisturize your feet daily- When your feet are exposed to the elements, they are more likely to become dry. Counteract this by applying a good moisturizer daily, such as coconut oil.
5. Flip-flops are not intended for lots of mileage- Consider putting them aside if you will be doing a lot of walking. Your feet will thank you.
Don’t forget when it comes to Wellness, be sure to #StartWithYourFeet
Walk strong…with orthotics,
Doc Rick , DPM
#StartWithYourFeet | Holistic Podiatrist | Hollywood Florida